Re: printing rest in ChordNames context

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: printing rest in ChordNames context
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 08:28:20 +0200

Marc Hohl schrieb:
Tim McNamara schrieb:
[...]
In jazz lead sheets, the usual method is to write "N.C." above the staff ("No Chord") which cues the chordal instruments and rhythm section to stop playing to allow the break. There's a workaround that Martial wrote to facilitate this, but it would be nice to have a way of writing this more simply (e.g., nc+duration such as nc1, nc2, nc4, nc8 etc.).
What about writing just r1, r2, r4 as usual, and let lilypond convert this into "N.C."? I have no perfect solution, but it should be possible by including the Rest_engraver and defining it
to simply print the "N.C.".

With this solution, you can use the chords as notes /and/ as text symbols.
Now I have a solution, which is not perfect, but at least as a first attempt:

\version "2.12.2"

NC = \markup { \lower #0.5 { \sans \fontsize #1  "N.C." } }

\score { <<
    \context ChordNames
    \with { \consists "Rest_engraver"
            \override Rest #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
            \override Rest #'text = #NC
     } {
         \chordmode { c1
         a:m