Re: relative mode occasionally gets forgotten?

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: relative mode occasionally gets forgotten?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 06:46:39 -0600

On 5/15/09 5:05 AM, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Chip wrote:
>> Patrick McCarty wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Chip <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>

>>> I think this is the issue mentioned in the Known Issues for Chapter
>>> 1.1.2 "Transpose" in the Notation Reference.  However, the two
>>> sentences included there are very confusing and should be rewritten to
>>> make the issue more clear.
>>>
>>> -Patrick
>> Yes, I see what you mean. Not sure I understand it myself.
>> --
>> Chip
>>

> If someone who understands the issue can send me new wording for this
> passage that makes it clearer, I will make a patch for the docs.

How about:

Music inside a \transpose or \chordmode block is absolute, unless a
\relative is included inside the the \transpose or \chordmode block.  When
\relative blocks are nested, the innermost relative block applies.

I think that this information should be put in several places in the NR.

First, I think that the information above should be put into 1.1.1 Writing
Pitches as examples under Relative octave entry.  There should be three
separate items/examples:

When relative blocks are nested, the innermost relative block applies.

\relative c' { d e f \relative c'' { d e f}}

Music inside a \chordmode block is absolute unless a \relative is included
in the block.

\relative c' { \chordmode { c \relative c'' { c }}

Music inside a \transpose block is absolute unless a \relative is included.

\relative c' { d e \transpose f g { d e \relative c' { d e }}}

Second, I think a warning (inside a box, not just a known issue) under
t1.1.2 Changing multiple pitches Transpose should say

Music inside a \transpose block is absolute unless a \relative is included
in the block.

with a see-also to \relative.

Similarly, a warning in 2.7.1. Chord mode should say

Music inside a \chordmode block is absolute unless a \relative is included
in the block.

with a see-also to \relative.

Note:  I haven't tested any of these examples.

HTH,

Carl