Re: midi omits one instrument in full score

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: midi omits one instrument in full score
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 14:36:17 +0200

Hello.

> Hi again. I did some more work and found that "viola" and "vibraphone" are
> silent while "voice oohs", "glockenspiel", and "violin" (and default
> acoustic grand) play ok.

As I indicated in my previous reply, this depends on the MIDI player, and
accompanying data used for rendering the sound of the selected instrument:
If this data is missing, that instrument's sound cannot be generated.

> If anyone can tell me if I'm missing something it would be greatly helpful.
> I have attached one file for your convenience.

I tried it on my computer.
E.g. for the "timidity" midi player, the vibraphone is absent, while with
"fluidsynth" it's there.

As a workaround, for "timidity", you can modify its configuration file; when
you see the following message in the output:
---
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 11 - this instrument will not be
heard
---
then you can create an appropriate line in "/etc/timidity/freepats.cfg"
which would reference one of the existing "patch" (i.e. sound) file. [Of
course, you still won't have the sound of the "vibraphone", but at least you
can keep the reference to the correct midi instrument in the Lilypond file.]

Best,
Gilles