Re: relative mode occasionally gets forgotten?

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: relative mode occasionally gets forgotten?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:50:12 -0600

On 5/18/09 6:04 PM, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl,
>
> I'm working on your suggestions and have come across a problem.
>
>> \relative c' { \chordmode { c \relative c'' { c }}
>>

> This last example won't compile.  (It was missing the last curly brace
> but I added it.) Here's the terminal output:
>
> chordmode.ly:1:40: error: syntax error, unexpected TONICNAME_PITCH
> \relative c' { \chordmode { c \relative
>                                          c'' { c }}}

Apparently, you can't use \relative c'' inside of chordmode.  \relative
needs a note (I think, but am not sure, it's called a NOTENAME_PITCH, not a
chord, and in chordmode c is read as a tonic for a chord, not as a note
(hence, a TONICNAME_PITCH).

Interestingly enough, you can get the following to compile:

\relative c' { \chordmode { c \relative  {c}}}

but the result is not at all what I expected, although I can explain it.

I think the knownissue was wrong, and what should be said is

Items inside a \chordmode block are always in absolute mode, even if the
\chordmode block is in a \relative block.

with an example of

{
  \relative c'' {\chordmode {c1}}
  \chordmode {c1}
}

And the \chordmode section should say

\relative cannot be used inside a \chordmode block.

HTH,

Carl