Re: changing grob properties?

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: changing grob properties?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 09:30:39 +0200

Neil Puttock schrieb:
2009/5/16 Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:
Neil Puttock schrieb:

So can I use it as a callback for 'stencil? (see below)

Not for the broken spanners, since they haven't been created when the
stencil callback is evaluated.

Hm, I didn't get any errors, and invisible ties are exactly the feature I
need.

They only show up if the binary is compiled without optimisations:

/home/neil/Desktop/test.ly:24:17: warning: programming error: cyclic
dependency: calculation-in-progress encountered for #'stencil (Tie)
      g8 g ~ g g
                 ~ g g~ g g ~

Ah, ok, that's why I didn't get any error messages.
At first, I used

\override Tie #'after-line-breaking = #tie::handle-tab-tie

but I didn't quite understand the term "after-line-breaking", since
tie::handle-tab-tie is
called on _every_ tie. So I changed the call to
\override Tie  #'stencil = #tie::handle-tab-tie

and found out that it works, too, and has the advantage not to write
\override Tie  #'stencil = ##f

explicitly. But if this is a crude style, I won't apply it. On the other
hand, when
this offers a possibility to change the TabNoteHead stencil on the fly, it
could be used.

It's malformed as a stencil callback, since it returns no stencil (or
even #f).  It produces no ties as a side effect.

Can I switch to another tablature format, according to

\set tablatureFormat = #parenthesized-tab-format / which is not defined yet?

No, since you wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two
formatting functions based on the note events.
It seems to me that (at least at the moment) there is no simple way
to draw parentheses automatically around fret numbers, so I propose
a different attempt:
a command \showTabTieBreaks is provided, which shows the user where the
broken tab ties are by indicating it (for example in red), and the user can put the
parentheses manually, or simply clear these numbers by invoking
\clearTabTieBreaks.

Thank you for informations!

Marc
Regards,