Re: lilypond via web interface: security considerations

From: Mike Blackstock
Subject: Re: lilypond via web interface: security considerations
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 13:08:28 -0400

Install Lilypond in its own chroot jail using Olivier Sessink's
jailkit available
at http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/ A 'chroot jail' means putting Lilypond on
its own filesystem so that nefarious activity - such as deleting
arbitrary files -
will be limited to the Lilypond file system. Furthermore, you just limit
the number of utilities you put in the /bin directories; if you don't
have the 'rm'
command in there, then it can't be run, obviously.

This, and other measures, will give you a fairly secure system, if it's your
own server system and you have control over it. If it's a public system, I doubt
they'll let you do any of this, unless it's one of the VPS ('virtual
personal server')
systems out there. These will run you around $50 a month, and you get your
own root-accessible system that you can pretty much do what you want with.
The guy I'm gonna use for this tells me I can do pretty much anything, short
of recompiling the kernel ;)

Hope this helps - I did it myself last year so fire away if you have
any questions
after searching the archives.

Cheers,
Mike