RE: sectional titles above tempo markings?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: RE: sectional titles above tempo markings?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 20:12:57 +0000

Hi Josiah,

> Using 2.12.2, I'm wondering if I can include some sort of sectional
> titling information above a tempo marking, ideally also with a markup
> below the tempo indication, something like:
>
> Henry in the Store
> Superfast (4=198)
> (muted)
> [staff with music]

I happen to be doing *precisely* that kind of thing in my current quartet
commission -- here's one example:

  \tempo 4 = 69 \tempo \markup \dir-column
  {
    \concat { "Tenderly, with some rubato (" \fontsize #-2 \general-align #Y
#DOWN \note #"4" #1 " = ca. 66-72)" }
    "VARIATION I"
    \vspace #0
    \combine \fontsize #2 "PART ONE" \lower #0.7 \override #'(thickness . 1.5)
\draw-line #'(16 . 0)
  }

Notes:
    1. \vspace is the standard (Nicholas's?) function for inserting vertical
space;
    2. the last element has a manually-built underline (because we don't
currently have control over all the properties of Lilypond's \underline); and,
    3. there are *two* \tempo commands (one to set the actual tempo, one to
generate the markup).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.