Re: lilypond via web interface: security considerations

From: Alex
Subject: Re: lilypond via web interface: security considerations
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 10:37:09 +0100

Mike Blackstock wrote:
Install Lilypond in its own chroot jail using Olivier Sessink's
jailkit available
at http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/ A 'chroot jail' means putting Lilypond on
its own filesystem so that nefarious activity - such as deleting
arbitrary files -
will be limited to the Lilypond file system. Furthermore, you just limit
the number of utilities you put in the /bin directories; if you don't
have the 'rm'
command in there, then it can't be run, obviously.

This, and other measures, will give you a fairly secure system, if it's your
own server system and you have control over it. If it's a public system, I doubt
they'll let you do any of this, unless it's one of the VPS ('virtual
personal server')
systems out there. These will run you around $50 a month, and you get your
own root-accessible system that you can pretty much do what you want with.
The guy I'm gonna use for this tells me I can do pretty much anything, short
of recompiling the kernel ;)

Hope this helps - I did it myself last year so fire away if you have
any questions
after searching the archives.
Hi Mike,
thanks for your helpful input. I'm familiar with chroot jails but haven't implemented one before. Not seen jailkit before - thanks for that.

I've had a look through the devel and user archives at security mentions. I found out about the safe option but need to dig further, and do some reading etc.

Given my experience at coding around lilypond (i.e. none), I'm not the ideal person to be looking at effecting safe mode, at least, not solo. If anyone with more experience is willing to guide a little, I'm willing to have a look at it (I mean, in the context of actually trying to make changes acceptable to code base proper).

Anyway, will have a look in the archives again...

thanks!
lex