Re: missing glissando features (bugs?)

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: missing glissando features (bugs?)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 10:48:58 -0600

On 5/20/09 10:41 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:19:47AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>>

> Nonsense.  You can push down a string without a fingerboard... ok,
> granted this *really* makes the "ideal string" calculations
> questionable, since you're changing the tension by quite a bit.
> But it can certainly be done; I've done it many times on the
> cello.
>
> Actually, one book on cello technique book (I think it was
> something like "how to play the cello without pain"; I read it
> soon after the first time I had tendonitus) actually recommends
> this style of playing for *all* notes.  The claim was that pushing
> was less natural than pulling, and so you should pull the string
> to the left (towards your arm) instead of pushing down (exerting
> force perpendicular to the arm/hand plane).

So I guess if you are using this technique, the only thing that makes a
harmonic is when your finger is in a harmonic position?

I've always thought that pushing against the fingerboard created a fixed end
to the string, while just touching the string created a node.  Perhaps the
"pulling the string towards the arm" technique creates enough force that it
functions as the "end" of the string, in contrast to the relatively light
harmonic touch?

Carl