Re: Shrinking score size

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: Shrinking score size
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:29:39 +0200

Op donderdag 21 mei 2009, schreef Helge Kruse:
> Hello,
>
> I have a choir score that originally fit on one page. After writing it
> with Lilypond the last measure is on an additional page. How do I shrink
> the size? I think there should be room for shrink at the lower part.

I fixed some errors (- without space) in the lyrics so the notes were better
spaced out, and set global-staff-size to 18, which is nicer than the default
20 for multi-staff scores. And removed the ragged-right setting.

btw: using -- instead of single - in the lyrics gives nice centered hyphens
between syllabes.

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--
Frescobaldi, LilyPond editor for KDE: http://www.frescobaldi.org/
% Created on Thu May 21 13:18:02 CEST 2009

#(set-global-staff-size 18)

\header {
        title = "Evening Rise"
        composer = "trad. indianisch"
        arranger = "Satz: Meinhard Ansohn"
}

\include "deutsch.ly"

verse= \lyricmode {
        Eve -- ning ri -- ses, Spi -- rit come, sun goes down, the day is done.
        Moth -- er Earth a -- wa -- kens me, with the heart -- beat of the sea.
}

verseSopranMeldody = \lyricmode {
        Eve -- ning rise, Spi -- rit come, sun goes down, when the day is done.
        Moth -- er Earth a -- wa -- kens me, with the heart -- beat of the sea.
}

verseAltI= \lyricmode {
        Eve -- ning rise, Spi -- rit come, sun goes down, when the day is done.
        Moth -- er Earth a -- wa -- kens me, heart -- beat of the sea.
}

verseAltII= \lyricmode {
        Eve -- ning rise, Spi -- rit come, sun goes down, when the day is done.
        Moth -- er Earth a -- wa -- kens me, with the heart -- beat of the sea.
}

verseTenor= \lyricmode {
        Eve -- ning rise, Spi -- rit come, sun goes down, when the day is done.
        Moth -- er Earth a -- wa -- kens me, with the heart -- beat of the sea.
}

verseBass= \lyricmode {
        Eve -- ning rise, Spi -- rit come, sun goes down, day is done.
        Moth -- er Earth a -- wa -- kens me, heart -- beat of the sea.
}

staffSopranoI = \new Staff  {
        \time 4/4
        \set Staff.instrumentName="Sopr I"
        \set Staff.midiInstrument="choir aahs"
        \key g \major
        \clef treble
        \relative c' {
                \context Voice = "melodySop" {
                        \dynamicUp
 % Type notes here
                e8( fis) g( a) h4 h8( c) |
                h4 a8( g) a2 |
                d4 d a4. d8 |
                d4 c h2 |
                h8 c h2 a8( g) |
                a8 h a2 h8 a |
                g8( fis) e4 a g8( fis) |
                fis1
                }

        \bar "|."

staffSopranoII = \new Staff  {
        \set Staff.instrumentName="Sopr II"
        \set Staff.midiInstrument="choir aahs"
        \key g \major
        \clef treble
        \relative c' {
                \context Voice = "melodySopB" {
                        \dynamicUp
 % Type notes here
                e4 h'4 h2 |
                a4 h e,2 |
                g4 g fis g8 fis |
                e4 h' h2 |
                e,4 h'4 h4. h8 |
                a4 h e, e8 fis |
                g4 g fis g8( fis) |
                e1
                }

        \bar "|."

staffAltoI = \new Staff  {
        \set Staff.instrumentName="Alto I"
        \set Staff.midiInstrument="choir aahs"
        \key g \major
        \clef treble
        \relative c' {
                \context Voice = "melodyAlt" {
                        \dynamicUp
 % Type notes here
                e4 g fis2 |
                g4 g e2 |
                e4 d d e8 d |
                h4 g'8( fis) dis2 |
                e4 g fis4. fis8 |
                g4 g8(fis) e2 |
                e4 e d d |
                h1
                }

        \bar "|."

staffAltoII = \new Staff  {
        \set Staff.instrumentName="Alto II"
        \set Staff.midiInstrument="choir aahs"
        \key g \major
        \clef treble
        \relative c' {
                \context Voice = "melodyAltB" {
                        \dynamicUp
 % Type notes here
                e4 e dis2 |
                d4 d cis2 |
                c4 c d h8 d |
                e4 e fis2 |
                e4 e dis4. d8 |
                d4 d cis cis8 cis |
                c4 c d h |
                e1
                }

        \bar "|."

staffTenorI = \new Staff  {
        \set Staff.instrumentName="Tenor I"
        \set Staff.midiInstrument="choir aahs"
        \key g \major
        \clef "G_8"
        \relative c' {
                \context Voice = "melodyTen" {
                        \dynamicUp
 % Type notes here
                e,4 e fis2 |
                g8( fis) g(a) h2 |
                c8( h) g4 a g8 a |
                h4 h a2 |
                g4 e fis4. h8 |
                h4 g h e,8 e |
                e4 g c8( h) a4 |
                h1
                }

        \bar "|."

staffBassI = \new Staff  {
        \set Staff.instrumentName="Bass I"
        \set Staff.midiInstrument="choir aahs"
        \key g \major
        \clef bass
        \relative c' {
                \context Voice = "melodyBas" {
                        \dynamicUp
 % Type notes here
                e,4 e8( d) h2 |
                d4 h a2 |
                c4 e d2 |
                g8( fis) e4 h2 |
                e4 e8( d) h4. cis8 |
                d4 g, fis2 |
                c'4 c d d |
                e1
                }

        \bar "|."

harmonies =  \new ChordNames \chordmode {
        \germanChords

}

\score {
        <<
                \harmonies
                \staffSopranoI
                \context Lyrics = "lmelodySop" \lyricmode  { \lyricsto
"melodySop" \verse }

                \staffSopranoII
                \context Lyrics = "lmelodySopB" \lyricmode  { \lyricsto
"melodySopB" \verseSopranMeldody }

                \staffAltoI
                \context Lyrics = "lmelodyAlt" \lyricmode  { \lyricsto
"melodyAlt" \verseAltI }

                \staffAltoII
                \context Lyrics = "lmelodyAltB" \lyricmode  { \lyricsto
"melodyAltB" \verseAltII }

                \staffTenorI
                \context Lyrics = "lmelodyTen" \lyricmode  { \lyricsto
"melodyTen" \verseTenor }

                \staffBassI
                \context Lyrics = "lmelodyBas" \lyricmode  { \lyricsto
"melodyBas" \verseBass }

        \midi {
        }

        \layout  {