Re: How to achieve chord stop with ¬

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: How to achieve chord stop with ¬
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:33:14 -0600

On 5/21/09 2:07 PM, "Stjepan Brbot" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Stjepan,
>>
>> First, you should know that this has been fixed in the git sources and
>> will
>> be available in the next development release.
>>
>> You can read the documentation about it here:
>> <http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Displaying-chord
>> s.html#Displaying-chords>
>>
>> For clarity, you should be talking about a ChordNames context, rather than
>> chords line.  Chords can be displayed in many contexts, including at least
>> TabStaff, Staff, FretBoards, and ChordNames. I mention this not to
>> complain,
>> but to try to help you learn a little bit more about LilyPond.  I remember
>> when I started with LilyPond, all of the LilyPond specific terms like
>> "context" were very confusing to me.  Now they make sense.
>>
>> Anyway, if you can wait for the next development release (which should
>> probably be available in less than two weeks), you will have this
>> functionality.
>>

> Thanks Carl, I really appreciate your help and hints. I'm not in a hurry.
> I'll wait for the next development release. I just want to emphasize that ¬
> should always go with \set chordChanges = ##t There's no sense to have
> multiple ¬ chars in a row.

Even when the new development release comes out, the character you use will
not be part of it.  The release will have "N.C." as the default markup, and
you'll need to change the markup to your character, which should be
relatively straightforward.

As far as the \set chordChanges = ##t, that will be up to the user.

> Understanding of contexts are still a little bit strange for me. Also I'm
> not totally sure how the proper lilypond score code structure should look
> like.

I'm not sure what this comment says you're unsure about.  If contexts don't
make sense to you, please try rereading section 3.3 of the Learning Manual.
I generally understand more when I reread it after fighting with scores on
my own for a bit.

> Also I must admit that I'd never seen a triangle as a representation for
> maj7 chord until I started to tackle with lilypond and it's strange for me
> that this triangle sign is in default chords naming system.

Apparently this is common in Germany.  We don't use it in the US either.

> BTW, is it possible to have the following chord naming system :-)
>
> \croatianChords    E/D        Cm        H/H        H#/H#        B/B

I imagine it is, but it will take some work.  Would you like to try to
implement it?  I'd be happy to give you advice, if you want to try.

Carl