Should sample code in NR build correctly?

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Should sample code in NR build correctly?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 07:54:54 +1000

For example, on p.98 of the PDF version of the 2.12.2 NR the following
example appears about half way down the page:

\repeat volta 2 { c4 d e f }
c2 d
\repeat volta 2 { d4 e f g }

If you try to build this using 2.12.2 on Windows you get

error: syntax error, unexpected NOTENAME_PITCH

c2 d

and the output is two separate staves rather than the single staff shown
with the example. The whole thing has to be surrounded by \relative c'' { }
to get the desired output.

The reason I ask is that I remember a post from someone a while ago saying
that the code as shown in the manuals had been used to produce the output.

Nick