Re: Users versus developers (was: Tempo mark alignment)

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Users versus developers (was: Tempo mark alignment)
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 23:05:59 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Ari Torhamo <address@hidden> writes
The first option is achieved by handling everything a non-programmer
can do: managing bugs, helping new users, writing the newsletter, etc.
The second option is achieved in two ways: helping expand our
community (and hoping this way more programmers will join on a
long-term perspective), or hiring someone (with decent money) to let
him learn the code and implement the feature/fix the bug you want.

You don't quite seem to get Tim's point: everybody can't and doesn't
need to participate every project they find useful - especially when
they don't consume the resources of the project in question (more than
marginally). Most people don't contribute equally to things in their
life - people specialize, which is good, because they have different
lives, situations, skills and talents. It's good to encourage people and
make them aware of the ways to contribute - and then leave it to them.

Unfortunately, Tim's point is at odds with the philosophy of free software - which can be pretty succinctly stated as "he who writes the software makes the rules".

And while I think that Graham is often more "bad cop" than necessary (I've fallen foul of him too :-) he does have somewhat of a valid point - if you're not prepared to put in any work then why should other people put in work on your behalf?

I think it would have been considerate of you to let it go after reading
what Tim hinted about his life situation.

Mebbe. But there's a time and place for saying "tough mate, that's just how things ARE!". It's all very well saying "stop the world, I want to get off", but the world keeps going regardless, and if you're not prepared to do anything about it, then that's your lookout.

I'm not far short of 50, I've got a mortgage (and rather too much time on my hands at the moment - I got "credit crunched" a couple of months ago), etc etc. I want to contribute (okay, only my itches, but at least if I do it it'll help other people as well as me). "Ask not what lilypond can do for you, but what you can do for lilypond".

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden