Re: Petrucci-like spacing?

From: Henning Plumeyer
Subject: Re: Petrucci-like spacing?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 18:57:18 +0200

Am 25.05.2009, 02:13 Uhr, schrieb Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden>:

Here's my attempt to get the spacing you're looking for.  I've done it
manually, but if you like it, I think that I can write a music function
\petrucciSpacing{} that will generate it automatically.
What I've done is to multiply each note by a value necessary to make its
final duration equal a 1/4 note.

\relative c'' {
  \key f \major g1*1/4 bes1*1/4 a1*1/4 g1*1/4 d'1.*1/6 c4 bes4 c1*1/4
}

Hi, Carl,
could you explain why this works? I would have expected that g1*1/4 is
exactly the same as g4, but it is obviously not.

I'm interested in that because it could be a way to have a closer spacing
in parts of a piece of Heinrich Schütz I just have been working on. It
mixes 2/2 and 3/1. The 3/1 is set very loose by default (whole notes and
breve notes mainly) but should be played faster then the 2/2. (The bars
should have the same duration.)

Unfortunately base-shortest-duration can be set only for the whole score.

There are some issues though - not with Laura's example where no bar lines
are needed. But when you want bar lines the bars are too "full".

Your example is very interesting and if I understood it I perhaps could
find a way for my piece of music.

Henning