Re: Aligning symbols with text

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Aligning symbols with text
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 08:42:18 +0200

Unfortunately, there is no predefined markup command for bottom alignment, but you can get it using the \general_align markup command:

\markup { "da capo al " \general-align #Y #DOWN \musicglyph #"scripts.coda" }

However, as you can see, this makes the bottom of the coda sign aligned with the baseline of the text, so the coda sign may be too far up. An alternative is to align it to the bottom of the text: \markup { \general-align #Y #DOWN "da capo al " \general-align #Y #DOWN \musicglyph #"scripts.coda" } which happens to give a nicer result in this particular example, since your text included a "p" that extends below the baseline.

  /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
\markup { "da capo al " \musicglyph #"scripts.coda" }

defaults to vertically aligning the centre of the coda symbol with the bottom of the text. I can change this by using \raise and fiddling with the value for raise until it looks correct:

\markup { "da capo al " \raise #0.8 \musicglyph #"scripts.coda" }

but is there a way of telling Lilypond to align the bottom of the symbol with the bottom of the text without this tweaking. I had a look through the section of the NR dealing with text alignment without seeing anything.

Nick