Re: The fastest way to typeset orchestral scores, especially when splitt

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: The fastest way to typeset orchestral scores, especially when splitting the work to many workers
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:10:00 +1000

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:56:29AM +1200, Daryna Baikadamova wrote:
> I plan to typeset some orchestral works.  Within a movement, is it
> faster to typeset a instrument at time, or an orchestral page (i.e.
> open edit display for all instruments, so I need to 13 tabs in my
> editor) at a time?

I would do one instrument at a time. I find it easier to keep track of
what I'm doing that way, especially if there are a few different clefs
and keys to work in.

I normally start with the top one and work down. Or, depending on how
well my brain's working, I might do them all according to clef and
key. It can take me a bit to get used to working in bass clef (I only
play treble clef instruments) and I can confuse myself if I'm working
quickly.

> Also if I am able to split the work to a group of workers, is it a
> good idea to give each worker an instrument?

Definitely. It'll be far easier to combine it all when they're done.

Of course, these are only my opinions, but I hope they help!
--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/