Re: tablature.ly - please test and comment

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: tablature.ly - please test and comment
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:20:17 +0200

Carl D. Sorensen schrieb:

On 5/29/09 2:05 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

Carl D. Sorensen schrieb:
[...]

Here's one way to do it:

deadNote =
#(define-music-function (parser location note) (ly:music?)
    (set! (ly:music-property note 'tweaks)
          (acons 'stencil ly:note-head::print
           (acons 'glyph-name "2cross"
            (acons 'style 'special (ly:music-property note 'tweaks)))))
    note)

{
  <f\4 \deadNote f'\1>
}

There is some drawback/difference: the crosses are drawn without
whiteout, so they look different. Is there a way to change this?

Yes.  Change the stencil so that it is a composite stencil.
But how can I find out whether the tweak is called within a normal or a
tab staff? Within a normal staff, a whiteout should surely be avoided ...
Marc, feel free to add this to tablature.ly if you want to.
How should we call this? It should be clear that
\deadNotes works as expected, and the new function is meant
to be used inside chord constructs  only.
\chordNoteDeadNote sounds a bit strange ...

I would recommend \deadNote, since it only applies to the next note.
The matching case for \palmMute, namely
\chordNotePalmMute seems to be ok for me.

I haven't reviewed the code carefully, but I think that \palmMute should
apply only to the next note, and \palmMuteOn should change all notes to palm
mute notes, or \palmMuteNotes could apply to a whole music expression.
Yes, that's how it works now (you can use \palmMute { ... } to treat
several notes at once, or \palmMuteOn ... \palmMuteOff).
Or just simply use \chordDeadNote /  \chordPalmMute ?

I don't like the \chord* notation because they aren't limited to use in
chords.  They will work for any single note, won't they?
No, the tweaks will work only in chord constructs
as far as I know, so I should have a pair of functions
for each feature, i.e.

c4 d \palmMute e f

< c \chordPalmMute e g >4

c4 d \deadNotes e f