Re: Quoting everything from another voice

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Quoting everything from another voice
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:46:36 +0200

Am Samstag, 16. Mai 2009 00:46:22 schrieb Carl D. Sorensen:
> On 5/15/09 4:13 PM, "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The notation reference states in section 1.6.3 that \quoteDuring is
> > typically used for two instruments that play the same notes during a
> > passage of music. Unfortunately, quoteDuring quotes only notes, rests and
> > ties, but not dynamics, slurs, other markup etc.
[...]
> Given your expertise in LilyPond, I hesitate to chime in here, but....
>
> Why do you need to quote instead of just putting everything in a variable
> and including it in both voices?

Because
(i) There are dozens of such colla parte sections in that piece, so defining
dozens of such variables will be a maintainance nightmare...
(ii) When including another variable, it's not easy to see how many measures
were included.
(iii) In the full score I might want to use percent repeat notation instead of
fully quoting (i.e. display the melody in the main instrument, but only
display percents with "col. Vl.1" or "col Basso" in the quoting voice. The
quoteDuring really gives that hierarchy (one instrument is the main
instrument, the other simply copies it), which is not possible when defining
one variable and simply including it in two voices.

The item (iii) can be easily implemented by defining your own myQuoteDuring
function, which either calls quoteDuring (to write out all notes) or print
percent notation. A simple command-line switch can be used to select one of
these notations...

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886