Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 10:56:04 -0600

On 5/30/09 9:53 AM, "Grammostola Rosea" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:

>>> My currently-planned starting point for chord naming is
>>>
>>> http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory17.htm#namechords
>>>
>>> If you have any disagreement with this reference, please let me know.
>>
>> The problem with this sort of thing is that there is really no
>> standardized nomenclature and there is a lot of personal preference.
>> For example, some people like Fmaj7 and others like F-delta (F with a
>> triangle), or Dm7b5 versus DØ, etc.  Satisfying all personal
>> preferences might be impossible.  However, that reference table looks
>> reasonable to my eyes.  My preferences were pretty strongly formed by
>> the old Real Book 5th Edition.

F-delta and Fmaj7 are two different ways of displaying a chord named "F
major seventh."

On the other hand, Dm7b5 and D0 are two different names for the same set of
notes.  (But both of those names are listed in the Dolmetsch reference for
that set of notes).

>> There are some chord name exception files that have been written by
>> other LilyPond users.  Two of them were generously sent to me by James
>> Hammons  and B Duncan.  These could be good references to look at,
>> since the chord names look pretty good to me, and might be more easily
>> incorporated without a lot of extra work.  Let me know if you want me
>> to post them.

That may be a possibility.  However, I think that the exceptions method is a
workaround, rather than a solid means of naming chords.  In particular, I
don't think that the exceptions method will work for slash chords.

> Isn't it possible to give more options and be able to choose an way of
> noticing?
>
> For example
>
> \europe
>
> \vs
>
> \Berklee
>
> \realbook
>
> \fakebook

Yes.  That is why I want to separate naming from displaying, as much as
possible.

Carl