Re: Better MIDI

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: Better MIDI
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 08:16:02 +1000

>>>>> "Hans" == Hans Aberg <address@hidden> writes:

Hans> On 2 Jun 2009, at 01:29, Peter Chubb wrote:
>> I've put up a page on how to get more realistic sounding MIDI
>> output from current LilyPond, along with the scripts and scheme
>> code used, at http://www.nicta.com.au/people/chubbp/articulate

Hans> (Isn't there a timing problem at the second triplet?)

There is --- it's to do the gruppetto at the end of the trill, that
seems to interfere with the first note of the triplet in the MIDI
output.  It's not something I can fix with articulate.

Hans> If it is possible to do it, it might be great to be able to do
Hans> the timing on per note and note-group basis - for interpretation
Hans> and also generating feedback on what values to choose.

Not sure what you mean here --- can you elaborate?

Hans> Also, the typesetting program has a cool feature where notes
Hans> written with equal time can be swinged. - Some guys on the
Hans> Usenet newsgroup rec.music.theory found this feature great for
Hans> experimenting with.

actually, LilyPond can't do this yet.  I wish it could.

>> ...I'd also like to do something about trills and turns with
>> alterations, and do a better calculation for trill duration.

Hans> One problem with those is that in LilyPond code one does not
Hans> write them in the diatonic note system, as the other notes, but
Hans> only graphically.

Indeed.  The same is true for most of the other marks that
`articulate' deals with.  Unfortunately there are no standard ways of
marking that there's a `flat' symbol above the ornament symbol and a
`natural' below; there are several ways depending on context.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia