Re: scoop before note

From: chip
Subject: Re: scoop before note
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 09:24:46 -0700

In all my years of playing jazz I've never seen a scoop placed above a note. I was messing about with using a

\relative c {
\once \override Slur #'positions = #'(-7 . -7)
c'2 \hideNotes \grace c8( \unHideNotes f4) g8 a
}

but no matter what numbers I put in the positions parameters the slur does not move. Obviously -7 is way off, but doesn't matter, they have no effect. I wanted to see how such a thing would look, it anything like a scoop - the gracenote would be hidden but the slur would be left visible. The move the slur slightly left so the right end is just to the left of the notehead.
--
Chip

Robin Bannister wrote:
Lewis Overton wrote:
I'm curious about what others are doing to print a "scoop"

I have an occasional need for this when transposing saxophone parts, and then I use brackettips as you do/did [1]. I first did such bends in a clumsy beginners way and had to put the brackettips in a dedicated auxiliary voice. It was cumbersome to set up but obediently predictable, which was in contrast to my frustrating attempts trying to tame \bendAfter. I never perservered with bendAfter; there was no corresponding bendBefore, and it is important to have the same style for all bends. But my lowlevel Lilypond has improved, and I recently had another go, which turned out a lot simpler, especially the scoop: %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% 2.12 #(define (scoop-stencil grob) (ly:stencil-combine-at-edge (ly:note-head::print grob) 0 -1 (grob-interpret-markup grob (markup #:with-dimensions '(0 . 0) '(0 . 0)
    #:translate '( -2 . -2) #:musicglyph "brackettips.up" )) 0 0 ))
scoop = \once \override NoteHead #'stencil = #scoop-stencil %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The key to this approach is the zero with-dimensions. It is of course a trick which lets notehead and stem stay together. And since it invites collisions, it may well be condemned by layout purists. But IMO it works well for the saxophone parts. It leaves the notecolumn spacing undisturbed; this is in keeping with my perception of these bends as articulations, i.e. lightweight qualifications. Collisions are fairly rare, mainly because the sax doesn't do chords, but also because these bends occur mostly on quarter and half notes; for beamed eighths I have a fixed override for widening the preceding stem. And the scoops are more or less below any accidentals.
Cheers,
Robin

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-04/msg00123.html