Re: thanks to whomever put this in the LSR...

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: thanks to whomever put this in the LSR...
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 22:29:34 +0100

Hi Reinhold,
I'm having a look at seeing if I can pick up the work Marek Klein did on -devel. It covered amending the coded generating output file suffixes to allow users to code user-specified names as the suffix. It changes the function print-with-book in file lily-library.scm so one of the internal variables uses a Scheme alist.

How much more work would it be to implement Patrick's suggestion below?

.
.
.
But it would be nice to have an option to override the file-name for
any arbitrary book.  Something like

\book {
  \paper {
    output-file-name = "Blah"
  }
  \score {
.
.
.

As I understand it, the above would allow allow you to have a file called something like "mozsym40.ly" and use
\paper {
output-file-name="SinfoniaK550"
}
to generated SinfoniaK550.pdf, .png, .mid, .midi or whatever.

If you were using a file with multiple \bookparts or \score blocks,
1. should output-file-name in these blocks replace the definition in the \book \paper block (if present) to produce Allegro.pdf, .midi
or
2. should it act like #(define output-suffix "Allegro") so you produce a file SinfoniaK550-Allegro.pdf, .midi etc? Or 3. should we have a separate output-file-suffix property to do this trick, which would be for use only in \bookpart blocks?

I'm trying to get a clear idea of what would be clearest for users before I send myself cross-eyed looking at the code.

Any opinions/pointers to set this Frog off in the right direction are welcome.

Cheers,

Ian Hulin