Lilypond sensitivity to whitespace

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Lilypond sensitivity to whitespace
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:55:25 +1000

Is there anywhere in the documentation that states where whitespace *is*
required? I was getting a warning in my console output: "warning: More
alternatives than repeats.  Junking excess alternatives", and I couldn't see
what could be causing this. I eventually found that that warning was caused
by having no space between ] and } in one of the alternatives. i.e.

{g'8[ g g g g g]}

instead of

{g'8[ g g g g g] }

As making that change got rid of the warning.

The only mention I could find regarding whitespace was s.2.1.3 of the
learning manual, which doesn't really cover this case.

Nick