Re: Notation Editor with MIDI

From: Helge Kruse
Subject: Re: Notation Editor with MIDI
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:11:17 +0200

Jan,

I hesitated to answer this, since I have great respect for the authors of Lilypond. But I feel I have to respond.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
You may want to give some of these programs another try. For example,

    apt-get install skype
You are right, you find one point on the list, that is ported to Linux.

works fine [but it is not open source, of course, so you get
the same crap as on other platforms.]
Maybe it's crap or any other thing. But should I stop to talk with other Skype users because it's not open source?

 you have ported i.e.

"you" have ported?
I don't say that you, Jan, should port any of theses programs. I understand "you" as "you, outside in the world". Sorry if this was misleading.

Let me give you a reality check.  Open Source is not about
making others run for you without paying them; it is about
being able to solve your own problems, without depending on
a proprietary software vendor.
Does this mean that I have to use Open Source exclusively and have no possibility to pay for a good software job anymore?

  Platform Builder 6.0

This is a joke right?
No.

I never heard of this thing but google says

    About Platform Builder
    Microsoft® Platform Builder is an integrated development
    environment (IDE) for building customized embedded platforms
    based on the Microsoft Windows® CE .NET operating system (OS).

didn't you read the memo, mobile is going Linux ;-)
What memo? And even if some cellphones are equipped with WinCE, I have nothing to do with mobile devices. I use this software and just asked how Grammostola would run it with ubuntu or any other Linux.

to ubuntu. Please keep in mind: Despite Lilypond is a great software, a lot of readers

Please speak for yourself...
Yep. The OP asked for MIDI file generating. I write harp scores for my friends and me. I use Lilypond, since I get the best score even with special requirements. As you can guess I am a software developer and so I am accustomed to use this compiler thing to get a graphical output.

...you don't know that!
Who knows?

Best regards,
Helge