setting/resetting pedalSustainStrings

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: setting/resetting pedalSustainStrings
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:37:42 -0400

Hi all,

For a section in the middle of my piece, I would like to change my sustain pedal string to say "1/2 P" (where '1/2' is the Unicode vulgar fraction half, and 'P' is the Feta pedal glyph), and then return to the default settings.

However, I can't seem to find the right code to do so... I've tried \set pedalSustainStrings, with and without using predefined \markup macro for the "1/2", but I get a blank (with a console warning about alignment). I've also tried to \override the stencil, but was unsuccessful.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kieren.

p.s. I'm also surprised that the docs don't have an example of mid- piece pedal-string adjustments -- once I get this working, I'll be sure to send a patch.
p.p.s. I'm using Lilypond 2.12.2, in case it makes a difference.