Re: SacredHarpHeads: possible solution to major/minor problem

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: SacredHarpHeads: possible solution to major/minor problem
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:15:33 -0500

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi all,

It's hard to get my head around the idea of always contradicting
the key signature without notating the contradition

I haven't been following this thread, but...

Why don't you set the key signature to one thing, but override the KeySignature #'stencil to say another? Wouldn't that be the easiest way to have a "global non-notated accidental contradiction"?

This is essentially what using "\key g \dorian" would have done. The problem is that the shapes would end up on the wrong scale degrees. I only learned about this last night, so my understanding is slight, but the tonic has a different shape in the minor than it does in the major in this tradition, and the shapes are assigned according to the relative major of a minor key. If you try to trick it, it'll put the shapes in the wrong places. The key signature and the key have to match.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com