Re: Advanced (web) LilyPond usage for multiple authors?

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: Advanced (web) LilyPond usage for multiple authors?
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:53:32 +0200

A wiki would be perfect for this purpose I think. If the extension for the wiki is smart enough, it can generate various outputs.

MonAmiPierrot írta:
Hello all, just some difficoult (but not stupid, I hope) questions.
I talked about LilyPond in a conference on music edition and critical
editions.
With my surprise, some musicologists (some of which don't even use Finale!)
asked me if LilyPond could be used in bigger critical editions projects
(e.g., an opera) where multiple editors are involved. These editors would
be:

1- the copyst who does the big "physical" job of writing down the code
2- the main critical editor
3- some expert revisor
4- the final editor who cares about layout
(and don't forget at point  0- : the orginal author!)

being of course possible that some (if not all) of these authorships [or
"editorships"???] are condensed in the same person, but being possible on
the other hand that different people can work on one of the 4 main points.

The main interest for (at least one of) those musicologists was for a
suitable format/workplace in which one can keep track of interventions
(author control).
Of course I replied that plain LilyPond format can be used like this just by
using comments (%) and that one can keep track of changes just by reading
those comments.
And of course I added that with some effort one can find a manner to tag in
different way editorial interventions of different kind or heaviness (for
example: mechanical normalization; unquestionable filling of blank elements;
choosing between different versions; re-writing of missing parts; actual
performance needs) in order to produce different output if needed.

My question is:
is any of the web-based lilypond projects (the Valentin one, the Lex one,
the Mike one...) will ever be able to do any of this:
1- permit a authorship code handling like in those Google-code or so on?
2- show the resulting PDF?*
3- give some LilyPond-code editing facilities? (being of course obvious I
would previously transcript an entire opera in my desktop and only using a
proper tool like lilypondtool or similar one)

and all of this possibly for users who consider Finale "too difficoult" ;) ?
I know these requests could be quite hard, and I don't know if some of this
have been discuss before.
But I think that even if it is too early to start working on this, it's not
a bad idea to collect some ideas and start thinking about it (it's my
italian attitude: better thinking that working!).
Thanks all
* (Is it possible for Google code or any code repository to run LilyPond and
show the result??? In this way point 1 and 2 would be almost done in one
move.)

-----
Piero Faustini

Main Software used:
- LyX 1.6.2 on WinXP sp3; EndNote & JabRef
- MikTex
- LaTeX class: Koma book
- Lilypond 2.12 for example excerpts
- BibLaTeX for bibliographies