Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:24:05 -0600

On 6/23/09 9:16 AM, "Grammostola Rosea" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 15, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>>
>>> Wol et al:
>>>
>> Would it be reasonable to separate the functions of putting notes on
>> the staff and chord names above the staff, and let the user spell out
>> the chord names separately from the notes on the staff?  Doing so
>> might really simplify this discussion and result in better control of
>> the final output.
> To me (but I'm not a real experienced jazz musician or lilypond user) I
> agree with this comment.
> Keep things simple!?

But this facility
a) doesn't exist in LilyPond
b) would require changes to the parser, and
c) has nobody who is willing to pursue doing it.

So, although it may seem simple to the user (things usually seem simple
when they are sketched out without full details), implementing this is
not simple at all.

The "simple" approach requires both notes (which are transposable) and
modifiers (which are not).

We currently have what I think will be a really good chord naming facility
being put together by Thomas; I expect it to be part of the development
version in about 10 days.

Carl