Re: new website: initial comments

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website: initial comments
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:01:06 -0700

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:48:02PM +0200, Hans Aberg wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2009, at 18:46, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>
>> The page needs to be optimized for people that don't know what
>> lilypond is; for this reason, the current page has a the essay and the
>> 'switch to lily' stories as the 2 main stories.  Currently, someone
>> unfamiliar with the (new) site does not know where to start.

What, doesn't "Fargle Blag" give a good impression of lilypond?  ;)
ok, I'm fixing this part now.

> What about adding a cool typeset example, there certainly is space for

Cool examples go in Introduction->Examples.  One person has
volunteered some contemporary pieces; I'm hoping to get other
genres of music, and more than anything else, a volunteer to
organize it.

Absolutely no git / texinfo / etc  knowledge required.

> it, and perhaps when clicking on it, one gets to a mini-tutorial on how
> to typeset it?

The really cool typography stuff (a la George Crumb) would scare
people.  I'm therefore not too interested in showing the input to
those.  The Crash Course gives a good introduction, as does the
tutorial (of course).

> Other sites have a lot of links on the home page. Some examples:
>   http://haskell.org/
>   http://www.opengroup.org/
>   http://www.huygens-fokker.org/
>   http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

None of those look particularly easy to navigate to me... although
that said, even the apple webpage is getting awfully cluttered.
(and it requires horizontal scrolling in my browser!  ok, this
*is* a netbook, but it still has 800 pixels.  I *hate* sites that
attempt to force a particular resolution.  :/  )

Cheers,
- Graham