Re: new website: initial comments

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: new website: initial comments
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:05:55 -0500

On Jun 23, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:

On Jun 23, 2009, at 7:11 AM, David Stocker wrote:

  2. On the documentation page, maybe it would be better to choose a
     wording other than "Normal Users" for the second section of
     documentation links. This might imply that "Beginning Users" are
     somehow /abnormal/. Maybe "Regular Users" or "Experienced Users"
     would be a better choice.

How about "New Users," "Intermediate Users" and "Expert Users?"

I know the second one seems nitpicky, but LilyPond is becoming a mature 'brand' and when you're advertising a brand, every aspect of your image should be carefully considered.

That's true.  I like to look of the new Web page so far.

I hate cluttered web pages (and hence I don't like most web pages- few Web site designers seem to have much knowledge about visual perception and lots of knowledge about JavaScript, and so they play to their strength) so I like the nice clean look proposed here. The image on the old page is too dark and rather depressing to my eyes. Putting color behind the top navigation bar separates it from the rest of the content and makes it's function more obvious.

The location of elements on the Web page should flow logically. Most Western users will tend to start at the top center, them move down and to the upper right as if reading a newspaper headline and then the lead article.

D'oh! Top left, not top right. Jeez, I was a little sydlexic this morning.