Re: new website: second draft

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: new website: second draft
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:47:06 -0500

On Jun 24, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Mark Polesky wrote:

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
I like the new website, Graham. The crash course is excellent, although I question whether it's good to have lyrics like "Lily, got me on my knees."
(Whew!)

Actually, as much as *I* like the joke, I'm afraid I agree with Jon.
Many the get the joke might chuckle, but those that don't might just
be disturbed. For a moment I thought of suggesting to change it to

Lily, I'm begging, darling please.

But now, I don't know, that might be pushing it too.
Curious to know other's thoughts.

Also, just to respond to a previous comment, I do *NOT* think the
crash course is overwhelming. If we pare it down too much, it's going
to elicit thoughts of "can I do anything other than Twinkle Twinkle
Little Star?"

As a recent newbie, please allow me to offer a little feedback on this: the crash course is overwhelming. IMHO the newbie crashes into the bottom the the abrupt and nearly vertical learning curve presented there. I tried it back in the 2.10 days and didn't come back to try again until 2.12. I wonder how many other newbies we have lost in the same way. LilyPond's input method looks like computer programming and not music, and most musicians are not computer programmers. So IMHO we have to find ways to ease them into it and not scare them off.

Learning to use LilyPond is like learning to use Emacs. Lots of power, which comes at the price of a bit of work to learn how to use it. IMHO most newbies should not see the crash course until after they have seen the introductions in the LM. I plan to have a look through the LM again and make some suggestions for changes to the documentation that would have helped me get into it more quickly and easily, in hopes that those things would help others in the same way. Maybe it will end up being the "Pre-Learning Manual Manual."