Re: new website: second draft

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website: second draft
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:54:01 -0700

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:31:31AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op woensdag 24-06-2009 om 14:15 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Graham
> Percival:
>
> > Here you go:
> > http://percival-music.ca/blogfiles/out/lilypond-general_1.html
>
> This is just Great.
>
> I feel simple improvements could be
>    - add margins, esp horizontal ones

I don't know about that... on a small screen (or simply somebody
who doesn't like to maximize their browser windows -- when I was
using my 1280x800 macbook, my browser was rarely wider than 1/2
the screen), the column widths are pretty good as they are.

That said, I'm sure there's some fancy CSS (and not javascript!)
way to increase the margins on wide windows.  I'm totally in favor
of that!

>    - the old website had a [couple of] linear flows through it,
>         home->introduction->testimonials-crash-course->download
>      something like that, but all going to download, iirc
>      probably you're not done with this, but I think it helps if
>      the visitor has a very obvious choice where to go next at
>      the end of each page

Good point; I'll add those.

> Possibly we should also think of
>    - a better slogan?  it seems to me that "Sibelius 6 - Perfect scores"
>      is more attractive than "music notation for everyone."
>      possibly something vaguely like:
>         beautiful scores, share the experience.
>      "for everyone" seems that "we" give, sharing is more warm/fuzzy?

I liked the old slogan of "beautiful music for everyone"...
although now that I'm skimming the current website, I can't see it
anywhere.  Am I misremembering?

Regardless of whether it was used in the past or not, what do you
think of "LilyPond... beautiful music for everyone"?

>    - some attractive pictures.  we tried with monet's lilies, and
>      while appropriate, they do not convey happiness/eagerness to try
>      and use it.  commercial website stimulate good feelings with
>      pictures.

Here you mean "generic happy pictures", not "fancy lilypond output
examples" or "stuff like flat-design" (the scanned flat ->
measurements -> metafont'd flat... I love that picture!)

I have no argument with that, but it's not my job.  ;)

Cheers,
- Graham