Re: new website: second draft

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: new website: second draft
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:08:13 +0200

Tim McNamara wrote:

As a recent newbie, please allow me to offer a little feedback on this: the crash course is overwhelming. IMHO the newbie crashes into the bottom the the abrupt and nearly vertical learning curve presented there. I tried it back in the 2.10 days and didn't come back to try again until 2.12. I wonder how many other newbies we have lost in the same way. LilyPond's input method looks like computer programming and not music, and most musicians are not computer programmers. So IMHO we have to find ways to ease them into it and not scare them off.

I'm a recent newbie as well..
I don't think the crash course is overwhelming: it's concise, clear and effective.

What is missing there, IMO, is a sort of *short demo/video tutorial*. This is the way most of people learn using programs today (or at least get acquainted with).

The text crash course says: "Hey man, lilypond is not that easy: no GUI, you'll have to learn a new syntax".

The video demo could add: "Don't worry, you can see here that is not so difficult". When I started, I was encouraged by the demos provided by LilypondTool website:
http://lilypondtool.organum.hu/demo.html

One more thing: why don't you add *tablature support* in the features?
A couple of years ago I came across Lilypond but I thought it did not support tablatures, so I went away because I really need it.
When was the tablature support added?

Cheers,
Federico