Re: Header title problem or convert-ly problem

From: Jay Hamilton
Subject: Re: Header title problem or convert-ly problem
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:03:14 -0700

Carl- Really clear instructions and finally I got it to work. whew!
Thank you.
Jay

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On 6/25/09 2:37 PM, "Jay Hamilton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> A: I have tried over and over to follow the docs.  AND I have copy and pasted
> both Mats suggestions and now Simon's .
> Mats has never worked.  Yes the version info is in the file.  No it did not
> work.
> Simon's suggestion, I renamed the file without the space and in fact after
> that copy/pasted his version into run and it can't find convert-ly so I
> browsed to my applications file (on my desktop which is where I install lily
> from) and convert-ly flashes and there is no new version or file that I can
> find anywhere and the problem continues to exist.
>
> So I need more hints as either
> 1] how to change the header so it works the way it did in 2.10
> or
> 2] how to get convert-ly to work on my machine.
> Thanks

Go to Start menu, select Run.., and type cmd in the box.

This will open a command window.

Then change directory to the directory containing your .ly file.  You change
directory with the cd command.  It's hard to give you exact instructions,
because I don't know where things are.

But to use the cd command, you type

cd "c:\Documents and Settings\Frybyte\Desktop\Hamilton\"

You'll know you're in the right directory when you type

dir

and you can see your .ly file in the resulting list.

Then you want to type

convert-ly

which should give you a help message about convert-ly.

Then you will type

convert-ly --from=2.10.25 --to=2.12.2 "my template.ly" > "template2.12.2.ly"

That should make it work.

You may also be able to make it work by typing in the run box under the
start menu

convert-ly --from=2.10.25 --to=2.12.2 "C:\Documents and
Settings\Frybyte\Desktop\Hamilton\mytemplate.ly" > "C:\Documents and
Settings\Frybyte\Desktop\Hamilton\mytemplate-new.ly"

The format of a convert-ly command is

convert-ly --from=FROM-VERSION --to=TO-VERSION FROM-FILE-NAME > TO-FILE-NAME

The command you typed in was not in this format, if what you reported below
is correct.

HTH,

Carl

--