Re: new website: draft 2.5, resolved

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website: draft 2.5, resolved
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:01:15 -0700

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 06:36:05PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le jeudi 25 juin 2009 à 03:50 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > Good points about -devel and bug-.  IMO if we don't advertize
> > info-lilypond, we should junk that list.  :)
>
> I guess the email medium is preferred, or at least more used, by some
> people than RSS, and this puts very little overhead on the release
> announcer.

Fair enough.  I was just going overboard on my "every piece of
info should only be in one place", but pasting a few lines of text
from an email to news-front.itexi (or vice versa) isn't hard.

> Speaking of, I don't claim that announcing releases should
> be exclusively done by the release meister, but have you realized that
> last release news item is three months old and is going to disappear
> from the list on the home page?

On the old webpage?  Meh, doesn't bother me.  :)

The new webpages will use a much more predictable system -- manual
cut&paste from the maintainers.  There's no point automatic this.
And since the news items are written in simple texinfo, it's
easier to add items than it was with HTML stuff.

> Even if I don't know how reliably I'll be connected to the
> internet in July and August (this means, I'm not sure to have
> more than 1 hour of free connection time every day, but I won't
> be completely offline for more than four consecutive days), I
> consider volunteering again to write news items, giving more
> credit to the huge work done on GUB than I previously did,
> starting from next Tuesday.

I don't think that's necessary... getting the translation
infrastructure for the new webpage is much more important, IMO.
Once that's up, I'm happy to deal with the release news.

Cheers,
- Graham