Re: Looking for Time signature tweak

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Looking for Time signature tweak
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 06:56:38 -0400

Hello Villum,

Trying to mimic the layout of the manuscript as far as possible in the pdf I have come across a small problem: Only the very first time signature shows the ordinary 6/4. All subsequent time signatures are shown with a large number only, spanning the whole system (no /4).

1. As a composer myself, I would suggest that it is not always necessary to mimic exactly the notation used in the manuscript: engraving should make things clear(er), not just be copy what might be shorthand notation from the MS. [Another example would be "chord- stem" and "slash" notation, which I use all the time to avoid rewriting repeated chords or note patterns during the rush of composition — when I engrave, I almost always replace these with the actual notes.]

2. If you *do* decide to mimic the MS, perhaps this is what you're looking for?

\version "2.12.2"

timeSigSnippet = \relative
{
  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'numbered
  \time 4/4 c d e f
  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'font-size = #6
  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'Y-offset = #-2
  \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'text = \markup \number 6
  \time 6/4 g a b2 c
  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'text = \markup \number 5
  \time 5/4 c4 b a g f
  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'text = \markup \number 3
  \time 3/4 e d c
}

\score { \timeSigSnippet }

Hope this helps!