Re: Looking for Time signature tweak - Thanks to David, Kieren and Reinh

From: Villum Sejersen
Subject: Re: Looking for Time signature tweak - Thanks to David, Kieren and Reinhold
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:09:18 +0200

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Reinhold,
This is essentially what
  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'single-digit
does, except that with the single-digit style the number is automatically
extracted from the time signature...
Wow... never seen that in the docs before!?
Very cool.

Thanks,
Kieren.
Thank you all for the incredibly short time to get led on.

I ended up with (sufficiently minimalized, except for the left-in bar checks? ;-) ):

\version "2.13.1"

\relative c' {
\time 6/4
   es2 f4 g2 g4 |
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'single-digit
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'font-size = #4
\time 7/4
   c2 des4 es2 des2 |
\time 3/4
   c2. |
}

\once and \override Staff.TimeSignature #'Y-offset = #-2 not being neccesary here; font-size #6 optically being too heavy compared with the manuscript.

I agree with you, Kieren, that it's not advisable always mimicking the layout of a manuscript. In this case however the only persons who are getting to see the result already have sung from that manuscript and know the very personal style of this particular composer. My main purpose of typesetting the piece was producing a midi-file; that done the challenge of adjusting the visual output to look a little more like the manuscript crept in.

David and Reinhold (hi: Graham!), I simply had forgotten, how extremely stripped-down examples can still be processed. After I think five years always using variables and score blocks etc. it is hard to recurse to the very beginnings...

Now knowing the answer I will try finding out how best to look it up in the documentation, any conclusions being posted in -devel. The stumbling blocks here are: my little musical education is danish, not english, and my knowledge of LilyPond internals still rudimentary.

--
Yours  Villum Sejersen
Nørregade  1 A