Re: new website: draft 3

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website: draft 3
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 23:08:31 -0700

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:55:14AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> There is a section in the Learning Manual, section 5.2 When things don't
> work, which I intend to extend to include help about common errors,
> obscure error messages or mysterious happenings, like music running off
> the edge of the page.  I'll begin by moving the warning on incomplete
> bars which is currently in section 1.2.5 in the Notation Reference to LM
> 5.2, leaving behind a link, of course.

I don't think the NR should link to the LM; at least, not for
short things like this.  The current @warninig{} in NR 1.2.5 is
great.

I think we should just add a discussion about common errors in LM
5.2 (also, make sure you include the highly cryptic error message
when you forget a }  ).

> I don't think there are more than half a dozen such errors, so
> this could remove the need for a FAQ altogether.

Well, Mats was talking about more issues than just confusing error
messages (... actually, the *real* way to solve the } error
message would be to add a canary to some init file, such that when
the processing hits the canary, lilypond outputs "meow... yum!" as
a warning message).

But I'll reply to him directly.  :)

Cheers,
- Graham