Re: good rendering of PDF

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: good rendering of PDF
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 14:00:43 +0200

Yes, there is an "enhance thin lines" setting in Reader 9 (or perhaps in 8 as well), which should be turned off I think.

Trevor Daniels wrote:

Werner LEMBERG wrote Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:42 AM

From time to time, users complain that the display of lilypond PDF
files with acroread or xpdf looks awkward on screen.  In such cases, I
strongly recommend to use ghostscript itself to view the PDF file, or
a wrapper program like gv or gsview.

Have a look at the attached image: the left part shows the rendering
result of a piece (compiled with lilypond 2.13.1) with gv (at 25%
scaling, using gs 8.64), and the right part is with acroread 8.1.5 (at
58.6% scaling).  What a difference.

When I moved to Vista I was very disappointed
with the on-screen appearance of pdfs in Adobe
Reader.  Then I found and adjusted the Page
Display preferences.  Now it's absolutely fine.
The default settings were clearly not optimum.
I can't remember now which particular settings
were important, but the ones under Resolution and
Rendering look significant.

Trevor