Re: Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Removing Piano Staff Temporarily Under Flute Part
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 14:06:27 -0700

craigbakalian wrote:
Hi,
        I am typesetting a Sonata for Flute and Piano.  There is a section in
the music where the flute part goes into a cadenza with no piano
accompaniment.  I want Lily to stop printing the empty piano part for 24
bars, and format the flute part on about a half a page, and then resume
the printing of piano staff there after.
        Am I clear?  I don't know what a typesetter would call this to even
look this up in the manual.  How about this-

LilyPond calls it \RemoveEmptyStaffContext. You can find it in the index. You will probably want \break before and after the cadenza.

Put this at the end of the \score block:

 \layout {
   \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }

HTH,

Paul Scott