Re: Overriding NoteHead stencil in a chord produces unwanted X offset

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Overriding NoteHead stencil in a chord produces unwanted X offset
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:48:38 -0400

Good question!
I am trying to write clarinet multiphonics.  Traditionally (and by
traditionally I mean in the past 10 years wherever I see it), the middle
note of a clarinet multiphonic is written as a quarter note regardless of
the multiphonic's duration.  This is to signify that it may or may not
appear depending on the dynamic.  The best example I can drum up is E
Michael Richard's site on multiphonics:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~emrich/chapter6-5.html

Although most scores that use notation like this are hand-written, you'll
see that generally the composer endeavors to center-align the filled-in
notehead.

I erroneously said "flush" when I meant centered - you're absolutely right.

Although I could keep the stem, this emerging notational convention seems to
always dispense with the stem, so I'd like to as well.

The minimal example I provided is more or less a full-measure multiphonic.
In the score I'm writing, this chord is accompanied by an eps markup w/ a
fingering chart, but other than that what I've put below constitutes a
measure of the actual score.

THANK YOU very much for your help!
~Mike