Re: website draft 4, help wanted

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: website draft 4, help wanted
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:01:29 +0200

2009/7/6 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>:
> Just by accident I looked upon Valentin's page, if only we would
> be able to steel the header images/gradient and possibly put nicely
> rounded tabs into the bottom of that header gradient
> [CSS stealing suggestion: http://tinto-taal.nl ] and also steal
> other rounded stuff?

Interesting. Does that kind of accidents happen to you a lot? :)

> Also, Valentin's page uses two nice basic colours, light blue-ish
> and dark-greenish.

I don't know if you're referring to my personal website or the
news.lilynet.net website. Much less rounded stuff on that last one,
though.

As for me, I still haven't managed to get over the
http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/glassy.html that has
been posted here some days ago. Actually, this has made me want to
redo my whole website. No, actually, this has made me want to close my
website and never ever pretend I know a thing or two about CSS again
:)

> A lot of [very important] work on content and structure has been
> done and discussed about, I'd really like to see some work/proposals/
> discussions on how the site could look/feel, looking through your
> eyelashes.

The rounded thingy I used is actually a JavaScript hack from
http://www.html.it/articoli/niftycube/index.html

Firefox has native support for rounded corners, but it's not
compatible with other browsers, and the rounded parts are not
anti-aliased (and therefore look a bit rough).

JavaScript hacks are ugly, and should be avoided whenever possible.
Other than that, it is possible to make frames rounded by simply using
background images; however this cannot be used together with a
background radient. (And, hell, there still are 25% people out there
who can even display alpha-enabled PNG images correctly).

Yeah, life sucks -- maybe I could use some of your Avatar thing right now :)

Regards,
Valentin