RE: Shifting down-stemmed notes rightwards

From: Richard Sabey
Subject: RE: Shifting down-stemmed notes rightwards
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:29:26 +0000

Thank you for your suggestion, Gilles.

I found that using \partcombine produced output that looked even worse for what I wanted. When used on my actual composition (i.e. not the example I provided in my original message), I found:
* sometimes tenor notes are in the upper stave when they should be in the lower stave, or vice versa
* sometimes all four parts are in the top stave even though I intend the bass to remain in the lower stave
* sometimes a bass quaver and a tenor crotchet are made to share a stem
* sometimes alto and tenor notes a second apart share a downward stem and are both on the right-hand side of it.

However, I found a way to achieve my desired layout: putting the top 3 parts in a << \\ \\ >> construct, thus:

%begin example
RH =
{
    \change Staff = "rh"
    \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #1
    \stemDown
}

LH =
{
    \change Staff = "lh"
    \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #0.0
    \stemUp
}

sat =
{
    <<
        { c'' b' c'' c'' }
    \\
        { e' g' g' e' }
    \\
        { \LH g \RH f' e' \LH g }

}

bas =
{
    \clef bass
    <<
    \\
        { c d c c }

}

\score
{
    <<
      \new PianoStaff <<
        \new Staff = "rh" << \sat >>
        \new Staff = "lh" << \bas >>

}
%end example

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden; address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Shifting down-stemmed notes rightwards
> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:02:01 +0200
>

> > How can I shift down-stemmed notes rightwards?
>
> Perhaps you can try \partcombine :
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Multiple-voices#Automatic-part-combining
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \score
> {
> \new PianoStaff <<
> \new Staff = "rh" \partcombine { c'' b' c'' c'' } {e' g' g' e' }
> \new Staff = "lh" \partcombine {\clef bass g \RH f' e' \LH g }{ c d c
> c }
> >>
> }
>
> Gilles

View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place - Learn more!