Re: basic questions

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: basic questions
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:05:15 +0200

On 10.07.2009, at 16:19, Peter Buhr wrote:
May I make a small suggestion (and it may already be done). Someplace in the
LilyPond manual, there needs to be a list of all the grob names and what they
do. I find I spend a lot of time linearly searching the manual hoping I'll come
across the right grob-name for something I want to change. In several cases, an
educated guess generates the right name. I tried that for Lyrics, but no
banana.

Cheers, and thanks

Note there are very important distinctions between the Learning Manual and the Notation Reference. (And the Internals Reference too.) A lot of questions about where to find grobs and engravers, and the syntax that they all use are introduced or explained in the learning manual, and after reading it, it makes it much easier to understand where to find the answers to questions, even though the question probably isn't directly answered.

Also, the Learning Manual (and the Notation Reference to a lesser degree) is not well-suited to the "search and find" method of question answering. It is more a primer, intended to be read through, before really attempting to notate anything with LilyPond. And while searches in the Notation Reference are considerably more effective, they benefit from having read through the Learning Manual at least once to become familiar with the terminology that LilyPond uses.

James E. Bailey