new spacing test/example

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: new spacing test/example
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:28:44 -0400

Hello all (and especially Joe):

Now that my most recent musical "crisis" is over — the premiere of my newest (Lilypond-v2.12-engraved) commission is this Friday! — I'm revisiting some recent scores, to see what v2.13 can do for me. ;)

I have a choral score which I want to reengrave and then use as a public example of the new spacing engine Joe has devised. So I'm looking for the very best way (read: least tweaking required) to set up the score.

The final output will be as follows:
  1. Octavo choral paper size (7in x 10.5in).
2. Two systems per page, each system consisting of a ChoirStaff (containing four voice staves each with its own lyric line) and slightly reduced PianoStaff (a rehearsal reduction of the a cappella choir parts). 3. Non-frenched score, i.e., all six staves will appear in every system.

So far, so good. However, I want to use ragged-bottom = ##f and have the (new) vertical spacing engine spread the staves "nicely".

Notes:
1. With ragged-bottom = ##t, I have between 0.5 and 1.5 inches of extra space between the bottom of the second system and the footer (with page number). 2. When I simply say ragged-bottom = ##f, all of the space gets put between the two systems — this looks even worse than the ragged bottom version. 3. I want any extra space to be "pleasingly" distributed primarily (e.g., 50%) between the two systems and secondarily (e.g. the remaining 50%) within the systems. 4. I want each lyric lines to stick pretty closely to the associated music staff above it. 5. I want the separation of the two piano staves to stay pretty well (or maybe completely) fixed.

What would be the best defaults to start with to accomplish my goals?
From there, I can certainly take it to the finish line, and then prepare an example for the docs.

Thanks,
Kieren.