Re: installing lilypond

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: installing lilypond
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:26:37 -0600

--moved to user from bug --

On 7/15/09 5:40 AM, "Graham Norton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello. I tried installing lilypond tonight on my iMac, OS v. 10.5.7. I am an
> experienced TexShop user.
>
> I created the lilypond.engine file for bash in TeXShop (you should say this
> text
> file needs a .engine extension) and moved it into the TeXShop engine
> directory.
> Then I did chmod +x on the file from terminal.

Have you been to http://ivo.bouwmans.name/lilypondleopard/?

I ask because the instructions there say to create LilyPond.engine (thus
saying it needs a .engine extension IMO)

> A window saying successful installation (which included a scale program) came
> onto my desktop.
>
> It said I should copy this window and compile it. I was unable to copy it (by
> selecting it and pressing apple key c, which beeped) and so could not compile
> it.
>
> Anyway, I went into TexShop and typed in the \header{ } etc. (with a few
> initial comments) and changed the file extension to .ly but it failed to
> compile
> in lilypond (from the typesetting button) and so there is no pdf file.
>
> Should I have surrounded it with latex commands (\documentclass etc.)??

No.  LaTeX is *not* involved in the creation of lilypond files (although
LilyPond files can be embedded in LaTeX files with lilypond-book).

> Here is the file (which I called scale.ly) that I tried to compile:
>
> %{
> Welcome to Lilypond
> ================
> %}
> \header{
> title="A scale in Lilypond"}
> \relative{c d e f g h a b c}
> \version "2.12.2"

This file should produce output.  It's probably not a LilyPond problem, but
rather some challenge in your TexShop setup.

try issuing the following commands from a terminal

which lilypond
(see if lilypond is visible to the shell)

if lilypond is visible to the shell, then do

lilypond scale.ly

If this creates scale.pdf, then lilypond is successfully installed, and the
remaining issues are integration with TexShop.

Hope this helps,

Carl