Re: Note names above pitches

From: Adam Good
Subject: Re: Note names above pitches
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:33:01 +0200

Mark,
Thank you for helping me look in to the source code, what an amazing
project Lilypond is. I'll spend some time looking at that but for
now...

Do I want help with the Hamparsum stuff?? Um, yes please!

Attached you'll find two png files for the same piece:
1. Modern "Western" Turkish notation
2. Hamparsum notation (I made with LaTeX)

(Hamparsum is read left to right)

Caution:
1. Sorry I'm sure there are some errors in the Hamparsum
version...I've only been introduced to it for the first time 3 days
ago so for example I don't know at all how to notate dotted rhythmic
values so I simply made the hamparsum rhythmic values dotted. I can
find out pretty quickly. Anyway this is a rough sketch to give you an
idea.

2. I grabbed the font from hamparsum.net and have no idea if it's free
to use, I assume it is. Either way I believe the guy who made them
lives here in Berlin and is a friend of a friend.

Hamparsum will in theory follow very closely to the theory found in
makam.ly (for Turkish makam music) so much can be pulled from there.
As I mentioned, each pitch is represented by its own character.
Rhythmic value appears above the pitch character though if you have a
string of 8th notes, you only need to represent the first one and the
rest are implied. You'll notice this in the attachments.

For as many accidental character possibilities as there are in Turkish
notation, there will be less in Hamparsum. For example in Turkish
notation, between DO and RE you will have a possibility of 6 different
accidentals. In Hamparsum between DO and RE there is only 1 character.

There are other characters for ties, segnos, etc...

So that should be enough of a start to see what a piece would actually
look like. I can of course provide a cheat sheet for what the other
characters look like.

Let me know what you think!

best,
Adam Good