Understanding the processing model

From: Martin Hosken
Subject: Understanding the processing model
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:50:21 +0700

Is there any documentation that explains more of the internal workings of
lilypond. I'm looking for something that explains how music events get to
engravers and then what happens afterwards with the layout events. 'When' are
stencils executed? Is it possible to write an engraver in scm?

I am managing to get somewhere with writing scheme code to do what I want, but
the effects are usually more through luck than judgement: I write something
expecting something to happen and it doesn't so I have to write it a different
way. I think if I understood the overall processing of events better from music
events through to output events and when things execute, I could do a whole lot
better.

TIA,
Yours,
Martin