Re: Moving an espressivo sign

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Moving an espressivo sign
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:30:01 +0200

Alexander Kobel wrote:
Josh Nichols wrote:
I am trying to move the espressivo sign down below the staff
[...]
 \override Voice . Script #'padding = #whatYouWantInStaffSpace

But: Why does this work? I've found some other mail about it, but according to what I understand from http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/Script#Script this property should be called 'staff-padding, and 'padding doesn't exist at all. Am I wrong here or is this a bug in the IR?

Okay, I have a guess.
First of all, 'padding actually _is_ mentioned - it's in the side-position-interface. Articulations are attached to notes, so by default they don't care about 'outside-staff-padding. If we give them an 'outside-staff-priority, they do, so this nearly works and gives distance >= 5 to the outermost staff line:

\relative c'' {
  \override Voice . Script #'outside-staff-priority = #1
  \override Voice . Script #'outside-staff-padding = #3
}

However, when it comes to notes where the articulations are outside the staff by default, the 'outside-staff-padding is _cumulative_. Is there a way to vertically align those scripts at a certain distance to the staff - i.e., without an additional voice with s_- or the like?
And, by the way, what would 'staff-padding do here?

Cheers,
Alexander