Re: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Best name for function to create cross-style noteheads
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:23:03 -0700

Sorry for the noise. I didn't think the first version of this email had succeeded.

Paul

Paul Scott wrote:
Hans Aberg wrote:
On 21 Jul 2009, at 20:20, Carl Sorensen wrote:

... a question come up about the name for some notation.

In rock (and maybe jazz) guitar, there is a note described as a "dead note"
that is notated in both tablature and staff notation with a cross-style
notehead. This note is played on a muted string, so it gets rhythm but no
real pitch.

The code has been developed with the name \deadNotesOn, \deadNotesOff, and
\deadNote.

The same notation appears to be used in woodwinds for what is sometimes
called a "ghost note".

In my experience ghost notes are in parentheses.

Paul Scott